Thursday, March 18, 2010

I Saw Miley Cyrus and thought...

The other day, I found my 3 year old sister crying. When I asked her what was wrong, she told me, "Ran, I not pretty."

That broke my heart. I told her, "You're beautiful, Shaylynn! Don't ever say you're not pretty!"

It kind of got me thinking though. What is wrong with our society, that it makes children think that they're not pretty enough?

Well, I've been told, many times that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." But I'm not sure that that's entirely true. I mean, sure, you decide what you find attractive, but what shapes your point of view on that subject? What helps you decide the way you view the world? Magazines? Television? Movies? Celebrities? People you see everyday?

Who decided that "beautiful" is skinny girls with long legs and spray tans? Who decided that "pretty" is fake eyelashes and straight hair? Who made up our societies minds that to be "attractive", women have to wear clothing two sizes too small?

Uh, how can you even be sure that it's a real person underneath all the fakeness?

And when you really think about it, who exactly are we even trying to impress?

2 comments:

  1. Very very good post Brianna. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I haven't blogged in 11 months according to the sidebar on your blog. But somehow I ended up here today. Love your humor and your writing style, kiddo. Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!

    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete

b