Saturday, February 6, 2010

Shrimp and Old People

Have you ever thought that maybe crazy old people are more fun than your actually friends? It's true. Tonight, I made 3 new friends. They were probably at least 500 years older than me but they were the easiest people to talk to in the world.
This one lady, Kristal, just loved my dog. She told me about her brother in Ontario who had a husky but had to put it down. Then we talked about the Bourne Ultimatum. Dennis used to be in the army and he seemed pretty solemn and untalkative (don't know if that's a word) but as soon I offered to let him hold Emma, he was all smiles and telling me about how he used to have dogs on the farm. All of the sudden, he was telling me about how his wife left him long ago, with their two sons, and now he doesn't know where they are, and I found myself sharing his pain. It's amazing how a dog can open up a conversation.



Sharon told me about what was actually happening in the Bourne Ultimatum, although I wouldn't trust her judgment. She had an imaginary friend. Or enemy. They could've been friends, but from what I heard of that conversation, they were most definitely in a fight. That didn't freak me out at all. I do it all the time, just in my head instead of out loud like her. I wish I was that brave.
When I left the house tonight, I was not thinking "I'm going to make friends with old people tonight." In fact, I was thinking "I wonder if there will be shrimp there." (Yes, food is always on my mind.) I treated those people with respect because to be respected, you must treat others with respect. It doesn't matter what psychological illness they may have, they're still people. And they were quite interesting, if I do say so myself.

P.S. There was shrimp there.

2 comments:

  1. You mom sent me over here ;) I am probably an old person to you :) Your blog is nice to read about life from a young person's perspective. Thanks for taking the time to talk with older people ... you're ahead of most young people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Mac, one of the ladies in our church has a home for adult mentally challenged and older people. We had our ladies meeting there this last weekend and Brianna came along and brought her 7 week old puppy. Talk about therapeutic pets! They loved her. And Brianna seemed to enjoy talking with them alot too. She spent more time with the clients than she did with our church ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete

b